Choose destination in Karnataka
Mandya district derives its name from its Administrative headquarters town. It is believed that, Sage Mandavya had performed penance in this land. Since then, this place is called as "Mandya". Mandya is known for the "Gowda" community of people from the "Vokkaliga" Hindu religion.
Brindavan Gardens, Krishna Raja Sagar reservoir, The Shivana Samudram waterfalls, Srirangapatna and the Melukote Cheluva Narayana Swami temple gives the Mandya district both religious importance and scenic beauty.
Mandya District has five important rivers, Kaveri River and its four tributaries Hemavathi, Shimsha, Lokapavani, Veeravaishnavi. Mandya city gained importance because of the Mandya sugar factory, which is now one of the biggest in India.
PLACES OF INTEREST IN MANDYA DISTRICT
AdiChunchanagiri is located at a distance of 66 km from Mandya. The place, Sri Adichunchanagiri Kshetra, is believed to be one of the most blessed places of Lord Shiva. The Chunchanagiri hill has two natural cave temples dedicated to Siddeshvara and Someshvara.
Balamuri is a popular picnic spot on the way to Krishnaraja Sagar (KRS), the river Cauvery flows like a natural waterfall here.
Basaral is about 20 km from Mandya. The main attraction of Basaral is the famous Mallikarjuna temple of Hoysala architecture. It was built by harihara Dandanayaka in 13th century.
The main attractions of Bellur are The Madhavaraya Temple built of soapstone at around 1248 AD, the Mule-Singeshwara temple and few Jain Basadis.
The Brindavan Gardens is located at a distance of 43 km from Mandya. The Brindavan Gardens is situated at the base of Krishnaraja Sagar (KRS) reservoir built across the river Kaveri. The Brindavan Garden has a beautiful botanical park, full of exciting fountains, as well as boat rides beneath the dam.
The main attraction of Govindanahalli is Panchalingeshwara temple built by the famous sculptor Ruvari Mallitamma in 13th century. The Panchalingeshwara temple belongs to the Doddagadava class of architecture, and is the only example of a "quintuple" construction in the Hoysala style.
The main attraction of Hosaholalu is Lakshminarayana temple built in 13th century. The temple is a fine example of Hoysala architecture. The angada Habba, annual fair held here.
Kambadahalli (means "Village of the Pillar") was previously called as Kambapuri. Kambadahalli is one of the oldest and important Jain religious centers in Karnataka. The monuments here were built by the Western Ganga Dynasty in the 9th - 10th century. The place gets the name from the 50 ft. tall Brahmadeva pillar that exists in the famous Panchakuta Basadi monument. The other attractions of Kambadahalli are the seven shrines built in the Dravidian style of architecture.
The main attraction of Kikkeri is the Brahmeshvara temple, built during the reign of the Hoysala King Narasimha I, is a fine example of the Hoysala style of architecture.
Kokkarebellur (Kokrebellur) Bird Sanctuary
Kokkarebellur or Kokrebellur bird sanctuary attracts cranes, painted storks, pelicans and other large bird visitors from as far away as Australia, Africa and Europe. During October or November every year, the village turns home to migratory birds.
Krishnaraja Sagar reservoir
Krishnaraja Sagar reservoir is also popularly known as KRS Dam. The dam is built across Kaveri River. The reservoir, 2.4 km long and forming a 130 sq. km lake, is one of the biggest reservoir in India. It has been built in stone without cement and comprises of parapets and a grotto for the river Goddess Kaveri. Sir M Visvesvaraiah served as the chief engineer. The dam is named for the then ruler of the Mysore Kingdom, Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV.
Maddur is about 20 km from Mandya. It lies on the banks of the river Shimsha. Maddur was originally known as "Arjunapuri agrahara", after the Pandava prince who is believed to have come here on pilgrimage. Madduramma is the village goddess of the place. Few important temples of Maddur are the Narasimha temple of the Hoysala period, built of black stone, and the Varadaraja temple built in Chola structure with a 12 feet tall Varadaraja image.
Melukote is located at a distance of 30 km from Mandya. Melukote means "high fort" in kannada language. Melukote is one of the important religious centers in Karnataka. Melukote is also known as Thirunarayanapuram. It is built on rocky hills known as Yadavagiri or Yadugiri overlooking the Kaveri valley. The temple dedicated to lord Cheluva Narayana Swami, came under the special patronage of the Mysore Kings and holds a valuable collection of Royal jewels. Great South Indian philosopher and teacher, Sri Ramanujacharya lived in the town for twelve years.
The other few attractions of Melukore are Kalyani, Hill shrine of Lord Narasimha, Thottilamadu, Dhanuskoti, and Academy of Sanskrit Research. Melukote is also known for the Vairamudi Festival, a fair held every year during March - April.
Melkote Temple Wildlife Sanctuary
Melkote Temple Wildlife Sanctuary created on 17th June 1974 mainly to protect the wolf. Other mammals found in this sanctuary are jungle cat, leopard, bonnet macaque, langur and pangolin.
This sacred spot on the Kaveri near Srirangapatna. River Lokapavani joins Cauvery here. It is a picnic spot. From here the river flows towards Tamil Nadu's Mettur Dam.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is about 35 km from Mandya and 4 km from Srirangapattana. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is a good place for nature lovers. The Kaveri river is studded with small islets here. Ranganathittu Bird sanctuary is home to foreign birds coming all the way from Siberia, Australia and North America. Crocodiles basking in the sun are also a familiar sight here. The best season to visit this bird sanctuary is between May and November.
The river Shimsha, a tributary of the Cauvery, has its fall in Malavalli taluk in Mandya district. Sivasamudram is an island town dividing the Kaveri River into twin waterfalls, the Gaganachukki and the Barachukki, dropping 90 m. Gaganachukki on the left is a large horsetail waterfall and Bharachukki on the right is a jagged crashing cascading waterfall. On one of the waterfalls, the state of Karnataka build its first hydro-electric power in 1902. Gaganachukki and Bharachukki are best viewed during the monsoon, from July to mid November.
Srirangapattana, a historic place has been named after the presiding deity in the Sri Ranganatha Temple, built in the 15th century by Tirumala, a Ganga King. The entire town is enclosed by the river Kaveri to form an island, northern half of which is shown in the image to the right. Srirangappattana was once the capital of the mysore rulers. Srirangapattana was also the seat of government for Hyder and Tipu. The fort here was built in 1454.
The main attractions of Srirangapattana are Sri Ranganathaswamy temple, Jumma Masjid and Daria Daulat Gardens. Daria Daulat Bagh, the summer palace of Tipu Sultan is also a very interesting place.
The Sri Ranganathaswamy temple represents a mixture of Vijayanagara and Hoysala styles of Architecture.
Daria Daulat Bagh was built in 1784, this Summer Palace was one of Tipu's favourite retreats. It is made of teak; this Indo-Saracenic structure has ornate and beautiful frescoes. 3 km from here is the Tipu Gumbaz where Tipu and his parents are buried.
Nimishamba Temple, Ganjam
Ganjam, a sacred place is at a distance of 3 km from Srirangapattana on the road leading to Sangam. The temple dedicated to Goddess Nimishamba is located on the banks of river Cauvery. Nimishamba is considered as the incarnation of Goddess Parvathi, the wife of Lord Shiva.
It is believed that Goddess Parvathi will clear off all the problems and trouble of her devotees within a minute. Hence, she is called as "Nimishamba". ("Nimisha" means "Minute" in Kannada.)
Tonnur, located at the southern foot of the Yadugiri hills. Tonnur was originally called Tondanur. Tonnur is becoming popular as a picnic spot. A beautiful and huge fresh water lake surrounded by hillocks is found here. Tonnur lake is a man made water barrage across Yadavanadi connecting two rocky hills and built from the times of Ramanujacharya around 1000 years ago. It was called as Tirumala Sagara (lake of the sacred hills). Tipu sultan called it "Moti Talab" (lake of pearls).
Please send us your enquiry and we will respond within 24 to 48 hours.